Black nightshade poisoning


Definition

Black nightshade poisoning occurs when someone eats pieces of the black nightshade plant.

This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Alternative Names

Nightshade poisoning; Morelle noire poisoning; Wonderberry poisoning

Poisonous Ingredient

The poisonous ingredients are:

Where Found

Poisons are found in the black nightshade plant, especially in the unripened fruit and leaves.

Symptoms

Black nightshade poisoning can affect many areas of the body.

EYES, EARS, NOSE, MOUTH, AND THROAT

STOMACH AND INTESTINES

HEART AND BLOOD

LUNGS

NERVOUS SYSTEM

WHOLE BODY

Home Care

Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care provider.

Before Calling Emergency

Get the following information:

Poison Control

Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does not need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The person may receive:

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

Symptoms last for 1 to 3 days and may require a hospital stay. Death is unlikely.

DO NOT touch or eat any unfamiliar plant. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.

References

Graeme KA. Toxic plant ingestions. In: Auerbach PS, ed. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2012:chap 64.

A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.